Looking for something to do this week? Here’s a few options:
Curated Upcoming Local Events (CULE!) from The #PortsmouthLOVE Letter!
* 2:15 – 6pm: Exeter Farmers Market @ Swasey Parkway
* 6–8pm: Eat It Up: Food Talks with Evan Mallett @ The Word Barn — Featured chef Evan Mallett will discuss the basis of great cooking, his creative process, a recipe demonstration from his new book, Black Trumpet: A Chef’s Journey Through Eight New England Seasons and a tasting for all audience members. Evan has even hinted about singing a song…
* 7pm: John Hodgman: Vacationland @ The Music Hall Loft — This wicked famous comedian and author is coming right to our very own Portsmouth — tickets are just $30 and include the book!
* 7 – 9:30pm: Mike Maurice @ Profile@Night Wine and Dessert Bar — Look y’all, I have been to Profile@Night and it’s no joke. The signature dessert is insane and the apps were really tough to choose between. Check it out during this live music special event! Mike Maurice brings his piano extravaganza from Portland, ME to Portsmouth NH for an evening of piano favorites throughout the decades, improv, original and more!
* 8pm: Button Factory Jazz — Paul Heckel / Paul Hunter duo @ WSCA’s Button Factory stage — Your weekly dose of Jazz, man!
* 4 – 8pm: Dover Art Walk @ all around Dover — Enjoy local art while strolling along the numbered map stops, visit in order or mix it up! Get your map stamped at each location to be entered into a raffle.
* 5 – 8pm: Rochester Museum of Fine Arts Grand Opening @ Rochester Community Center (behind Spaulding High School) — The Rochester Museum of Fine Arts will host a Grand Opening celebration for its newly acquired and renovated suite in the Rochester Community Center. The new suite will compliment the collection display and add additional free programming to the community.
* 5 – 8pm: Art Round Town w/ Phillip Case Cohen book signing @ Discover Portsmouth — Meet photographer Philip Case Cohen and pick up a copy of his new book, Portsmouth – A Photographic Portrait. If you’re not already a fan, you’ll become one! And while at Discover Portsmouth, take in our Gertrude Fiske Exhibition along with paintings by Seacoast Masters and Sisters of the Brush and Palette.
* 8am – 2pm: Portsmouth Farmers Market @ City Hall Hill — Portsmouth Saturday mornings are for neighbors and fresh local goods!
* 11:30pm: WOKQ Chowder Festival @ Prescott Park — Like chowda? Come sample the best from around the Seacoast and help pick this year’s winner!
* 12 – 6:30pm: Revel in the Meadow to benefit Continuum Arts Collective @ Spring Hill in South Berwick, ME
* 4pm & 7:30pm: Walkin’ in the Light @ South Church — Help send Voices from the Heart to Cape Town, South Africa, for a musical and humanitarian adventure!
* 8pm: Paula Poundstone @ The Music Hall — Legendary comedian Paula Poundstone returns! You might know her from “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me!” on NPR. Or many other of her accolades, including being “a Music Hall fan favorite.”
* 9pm: Muddy Ruckus album release @ Book & Bar — Muddy Ruckus is a duo playing darkly inventive Americana rock. $5 show.
* 1 – 5pm: Open House @ Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse — Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses hosts open houses at Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse in New Castle every Sunday from late May through mid-October. No reservations are needed; tours are on a first come, first served basis.
* 4pm: Lean on Pete film @ The Music Hall — Look. I saw this trailer. It’s gonna be a tear-jerker. Feelin’ that vibe? It looks real good.
* 6:30pm: Speakeasy by the Sea @ Seacoast Rep — Join Seacoast Rep’s best performers as they sing songs of their choosing in our intimate lobby. Just 5 tables left to reserve online (4 seats + 2 drink tickets) at the time of our writing — or take a gamble and pay $10 at the door!
* Monday 6/4: Mondays Are A Drag! (Broadway!) @ Seacoast Rep — Doors at 7 / bingo at 7:30 / first performance around 8:15. Come in costume! Rated R. Adults Only, Viewer discretion is advised, maybe contain: Strong Language, Nudity or Suggestive Themes.
* Wednesday 6/6: Postcards from the Past @ Kittery’s STAR Theatre — For over one hundred years, Kittery can document its past with postcards. An amazing array of people, places and events have all been memorialized with this method of record keeping often spanning generations. This free presentation with Kim Sanborn will highlight some of Kittery’s most memorable.
* Wednesday 6/6 *6pm kickoff!!*: #NHGives — See our feature by Alyssa Wright on how to maximize this day for the nonprofit of your choice in New Hampshire.
6/9: Market Square Day
6/15: Ani DiFranco River House Concert Series opener at Prescott Park
6/16: Swizzle @ 3S Artspace
6/16: NH Women’s Foundation GALa in Concord
6/23: Portsmouth PRIDE
PortsmouthNH.com // SeacoastOnline.com // SeacoastLately.com